Pinnacle Power is a fast-growing innovative UK based business which designs, builds, operates, maintains and finances low carbon district energy networks and building energy systems for communities. With the decarbonisation of our heating systems now becoming a national imperative we are experiencing rapid growth in demand for the design, build, operation, and maintenance of low carbon district heating systems and for the decarbonization of existing building heating systems, especially to replace distributed fossil fuel heating with centralised low carbon heat generation.
Pinnacle Power is absolutely committed to an honest and collaborative approach to all our work, to being innovative in everything we do, always looking for better ways to do things and on avoiding the business curses of unnecessary complexity and silos.
Pinnacle Power is part of the Pinnacle Group, a family of businesses providing a comprehensive and integrated range of services to communities and their private and public sector partners. We focus on delivering bespoke solutions with positive outcomes for the communities we serve.
This rapid growth of this sector in the UK requires additional experienced resources which we will draw on from the mature market of engineers that Denmark has – in particular district heating and building services – in our new offices in Copenhagen.
Design Engineer- Low Carbon Heat Networks and Building Services
Become manager of a small new engineering office in Copenhagen
Pinnacle Power are seeking a highly flexible, self-starting, post-graduate engineer with demonstrative experience in the design of Mechanical Building Services, Energy Centres, low carbon technologies and control systems. The location of the post will be in Copenhagen, but we embrace flexible working arrangements across our business in the UK with offices in London, Carlisle and Sheffield and staff based across the country. We also have some staff “working from home” in Europe at present. You would be encouraged visit prospective client sites in the UK and active construction sites throughout the UK from time to time.
The compact nature of the business and our rapid growth means that you will have significant opportunity to develop your career in a friendly environment. We are looking to develop teams of engineers that will be able to grow into designing a variety of energy related systems. It is anticipated, therefore, that you are inquisitive by nature and would be seeking to broaden your skills horizon.
This position will differ from conventional design responsibilities in that you will be given the opportunity to ‘own’ a design project from inception through to operation. Following the handover to our Operations Team, you will continue to monitor and evaluate feedback from the Operations Team to help refine and improve the design and all future designs.
Proven lead on the design and delivery of new energy projects during the pre-construction and construction phases working with and supported by the wider Pinnacle Power Team. The role will also encompass new future work streams that require restorative system design and construction. In more detail this will include:
- Responsible for designs being technically correct prior to release for construction
- Undertake energy system designs as required by the business needs
- Evaluation of new low carbon technologies
- Managing the production of detailed drawings, reports and specifications.
- Surveying and evaluating existing buildings energy systems.
- Generating restorative designs, for existing buildings
- Production of viability and feasibility reports of energy systems
- On-site evaluation to ensure design compliance during construction phase
- Post construction evaluation and reporting
- Represent the business across technical fora and design development issues to enhance design quality
- Regular review and reporting to the Director of Engineering
Engineer with experience in the field of Energy Engineering Systems
We are looking for an enthusiastic senior level engineer with excellent design, technical, and software skills who enjoy working collaboratively in dynamic multi-professional teams, assisting in all aspects of the delivery of projects from inception to completion to achieve outstanding results.
You will be able to show you have 3-5 years of experience in this design area and you will have a keen interest in the field of Energy Engineering Systems for domestic, commercial and industrial buildings. You will have a keen eye for detail and be technically proficient.
We will want you to join our journey toward a more environmentally and technically responsible and effective way of designing energy systems; moving away from conventional processes into a more innovative and free-thinking design environment.
You will be able to adapt to the rapidly changing landscape for energy system design ad the technologies that need to be deployed.
Knowledge and Qualifications
- Degree qualified in Mechanical, Building Services or Energy Engineering.
- 3-5 years post graduate experience in relevant fields of building services engineering design
- Highly numerate and with a comprehensive understanding of heat transfer, fluid mechanics and fluid hydraulics.
- Demonstrate experience in the design of mechanical services for multi-apartment buildings.
- Demonstrate experience of energy centre mechanical services design, such as district heating, CHP and renewables
- Demonstrative experience in the application and deployment of low carbon energy sources such as ASHP and GSHP
- A good understanding of energy legislation and compliance
- Ability to produce detailed schematic representations of heating, DHW, chilled water and control systems.
- Understanding of Heat and Utility Networks is desirable.
- Competent in AutoCAD, Revit and Procore
- Fully IT proficient; Word, PowerPoint, Excel, email systems, etc. as a minimum.
- Able to work as a member of a team.
- Excellent communication and presentations skills, written and in meetings (English).
- Good organisational, time management and planning.
- Creative, inquisitive and enjoys solving problems.
- Willingness to question conventional design methods