Hands-on Global HSE Expert – Refractory Services
Enhance HSE for our RHI Magnesita employees at customer production sites
RHI Magnesita is the global leader and driving force in the refractory business – we develop, produce, sell and install heat-resistant materials and products that can withstand more than 1200° C for high temperature production. Without RHI Magnesita cars, planes, glass, roads and many other things that we take for granted would not exist. RHI Magnesita has app. 12.000 employees, 2.7 bn. Euro in turnover, and serves more than 10.000 customers within steel, cement, glass, metals, energy, chemical and similar industries.
Refractory Services is a business unit that is in charge of replacing and maintaining refractories at our customer plants. Are you a senior level HSE Expert who is able to enhance the level of HSE and drive considerable change to the benefit of our employees in the cross field between external customer production sites, Refractory Services HSE and Corporate HSE in many different cultures and countries then we got the role for you.
About the job
Global Refractory Services counts over 3000 collaborators working at our customers‘ facilities throughout the world. Our customers‘ sites differ from very small plants to plants with thousands of employees – some with very well defined HSE policies some with less – but all in high risk environments with liquid metals, extreme heat exposure and heavy bricks.
In this position you will be responsible to define our H&S policy and lead its deployment within the Refractory Services Business Unit which is in charge of the installation of our refractory products at our customers. You will be promoting H&S as the #1 priority and you will define a comprehensive roadmap to consolidate and further improve our H&S mindset all around the globe. Your regular visits on site will be key for you to understand the reality our organization is living in and find the proper solutions in close collaboration with the business leaders. You will support the regional managers as well as our operational teams to assess potential gaps, define & implement the right H&S measures and guide them on this journey. Additionally, you work closely with our regional H&S Experts and the corporate H&S department of our company in order to ensure that company tools and policies are implemented across all teams. Sharing and implementing best practices between the different areas of our department will be one of the main drivers of making our work environment a safe place.
This position is linked to the challenge and opportunity of bringing the RHIM Refractory Services team to the highest standards in terms of H&S. As a direct report to the BU Head of Refractory Services you will have the chance to create your own impact on our organization and work with people around the globe in a cross-functional cooperation. Your daily tasks include:
- Enable & support the regional managers to define their strategic development plans in order to improve our H&S level
- Support the regional H&S Coordinators to roll out company tools and initiatives
- Conduct regular site visits and H&S audits
- Take an active part in the analysis of H&S events targeting root cause identification as well as corrective and preventive actions
- Share best practices and incident reports to the relevant population
- Represent Refractory Services in corporate H&S meetings and workshops
- Travel up to 50% of the time
You are a proven H&S expert with a solid background in heavy industries such as petrochemical, construction or steel production. Improving the level of safety of all individuals working around you is your main goal and working globally with colleagues all around the world excites you!
As our ideal candidate you are an expert in your field with thorough experience in managing operational H&S in industries involving extensive manpower and you are comfortable in assessing and managing all kinds of risks associated. Additionally, you have strong communication and interpersonal skills as well as the capacity to successfully manage both global topics and local initiatives in very different cultural environments.
In addition, you have:
- Minimum 10 years of experience working in an H&S role in a demanding industry
- Relevant educational background
- Deep practical knowledge of managing cultural change around H&S
- Solid knowledge of behavior-based H&S tools
- Fluency in English, and other language skills are considered an asset
What we bring to the table
We are the acknowledged industry leader in innovative technology. Our company is defined by people. That’s why we attach so much importance to our employees. We have a collaborative culture that cherishes ideas and determination to add value for our customers. Our leadership style encourages openness, fresh thinking and initiative. We are pragmatic, positive and optimistic.
- Challenging and diverse tasks within a multicultural and passionate working environment
- A responsible position within the Business Unit Refractory Services
- Cross-functional collaboration with open-minded and innovative teams
- Flat hierarchies with short decision-making processes
- Full-time position (40 hours/week) at our Hub in Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- Health insurance contribution and competitive pension plan
- Transportation allowance or public transportation travel card (1st class)
- Brand new open and modern office in the heart of Rotterdam